Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Gray Ombre Dresser

Soprano's room re-do is now 98% done due to some new furniture! Huzzah! :)
We fixed some issues with the paint and repainted the whole room, made an art gallery, got new curtains and bed linens, created embroidery hoop art, and repurposed an old drawer into a photo display. With the room re-do, we started considering replacing her bedroom furniture. The dresser was only 3-drawers and becoming to small for a tweenager's wardrobe. It matched the desk so we ended up selling the whole set to help pay for some new pieces.
I found the dresser at our local Habitat Re-Store. (Well, they posted it on their Facebook page and drove over there almost immediately to snag it.)
It had a weird, wood-look faux paint finish. Bass sanded it down so I could prime and paint it.
It took two coats of primer and four coats of paint to cover. The dresser frame is Olympic Crumb Cookie, the color of the trim in our house. For the drawers, I decided to do a gray ombre. I thought about mixing the paint myself but went with (the much easier) paint samples from Lowe's. I would have preferred a semi-gloss, not a satin, finish but for $5, it was worth it.
The drawer colors from top to bottom are: Seashell Gray, Filtered Shade (the same color as Soprano's walls), Rocky Bluffs, Cathedral Stone, and Rugged Suede. (All Valspar.)
 To make the insides just as pretty, I lined them with decorative paper. ($2 from Michael's).
 
The finishing touches were a silver spray paint over the original brass hardware and a new mirror (Hobby Lobby) and dresser scarf (my fabric stash.)

And yes, this photo is staged. As of right now, there's a bunch of tween "treasures" sitting on top. :)

Linking up to some or all of these great blog parties:
Sunday: It's Overflowing; Sunday Showcase at Under the Table and Dreaming;
Monday: Inspire Me Monday at Sand and Sisal; Tutorials and Tips at Home Stories A to Z; Monthly Before and After at Thrifty Decor Chick
Wednesday: Wicked Awesome Wednesday at Handy Man, Crafty Woman; Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts; 
Friday: Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest; Flaunt it Friday at Chic on a Shoestring;

Featured at 24 Cottonwood Lane
and at 
 

7 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I love white and grey together, and it works really well for this dresser. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like how it turned out, and my daughter loves it. :)

      Delete
  2. This is so pretty and elegant. It will be part of our weekend features next Sunday (Aug 16) with credit and a link back to you. We tweet and pin all of our features and I can let you know when the post goes live if you'd like to share on social media as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Thanks for the feature. That's really sweet of you. :)

      Delete
  3. This is great! I need a new dresser, but don't want to spend a lot of money, so I need to grab a used one and give it a makeover like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A re-do was much cheaper than brand new, that's for sure. Plus this dresser is solid wood so I think it will stand up to a lot of use. Good for the environment, good for my wallet, and good for my blog. LOL Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Your dresser turned out beautiful! Love the colors. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...