Saturday, December 14, 2013

12 Days of Christmas Traditions: Christmas Cards


This year, I thought it would be fun to write a series of posts to highlight the family traditions that we do during each Christmas season. We have a lot of things we do to celebrate the fun and wonder of the holiday, and I'd love to share them with you. Perhaps you'll find a new tradition for your family!

The first thing that we do is to send Christmas cards to family and friends. I Used to be a stamp demo so I probably have enough Christmas themed stamps to last me for the rest of my Christmases. Yet somehow it's a challenge every year to find which one I want to use.
This year I found a couple of ideas on Pinterest that inspired my card designs. (Card 1, Card 2)
Card #1: Believe

My first card (which ended up being my favorite) features patterned paper from the My Minds Eye 'Lost & Found Christmas' 6x6 paper pad. I cut the image base and scalloped circle using Nestabilities; stamped the 3-step image; stamped and cut out the bow; and then added a button, threaded with a baker's twine bow. To add a frosty effect, I inked the edges of the card base with Palette New Canvas ink (white). The sentiment on the front was stamped with Versamark.  

Card #2: Merry Ornaments
My second card gave me a tough time. I loved the card I saw on Pinterest but I just could not figure out those swirls. I tried every possible combination with the flourish stamps I owned and still just didn't really like my end result. I love the paper so much though; it totally makes up for the wonky swirls. I also cut out a strip of paper and punched the edge for the bottom of the card.

The best part of sending out Christmas cards is getting so many in return. We display them in our living room on this old ladder.

Details (card 1):
cardstock: Color Mates (dark glorious green); Unknown (cream); Canvas Home Basics (card bases)
patterned paper: My Mind's Eye 'Lost & Found Christmas'
embellishments: Queen & Co. baker's twine; Foofala buttons
color: Palette inks: New Canvas, Burnt Umber, Moulin Rouge, Jardin Moss; Versamark
tools: Spellbinders Nestabilities (scallop circle and regular circle die cuts)
stamps: TAC: Mini Wreath, Be Authentic (believe), Homespun Holiday (bow) Spring Time (bird)

Details (card 2):
cardstock: Canvas Home Basics (card bases)
patterned paper: My Mind's Eye 'Lost & Found Christmas'; metallic gold (unknown)

color: Palette inks: New Canvas, Burnt Umber; Versamark
tools: Spellbinders Nestabilities (regular circle die cuts); Fiskars (edge punch)
stamps: TAC: Curls and Swirls; Stampin Up! Tree Trimmings (ornament hooks), Short and Sweet (sentiment)


Check out all our family Christmas traditions:
Christmas Cards
Advent Calendar
Christmas Books and DVDs
Christmas Music
Caramels
A Special Nativity Scene
Ornament Tree
Pizzelles
4 Stocking Gifts
3 Under the Tree Gifts
Christmas Eve Church Service
Christmas Morning - Luke 2 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...