Saturday, October 5, 2013

School Summary - Jesus Birth and Fall Break

I respectfully ask that you not pin pictures of my children to Pinterest. Thank you!
Reading Public Museum Field Trip
A Summary of September 23 - October 5

Now that we're in our groove, we did one week of school and then promptly took our first full week off for fall break. We completed one more week of school and then took it easy for a week. The younglings were supposed to read book basket books for MFW and Tenor had a writing assignment to finish but during our week off, we had a Star Wars Marathon, introduced the younglings to MacGyver, had friends over for a S'more Fest, went to co-op, and had a yard sale. Needless to say, it was a great week off but it went by super fast.
Here's what we did these two weeks:

Things that were scheduled:
Math
Language Arts (Grammar, Spelling, Penmanship, Reading, and Writing)
Tenor still needs to catch up on his writing assignment. We had a slight hold-up because it was a research paper but he didn't have any source texts here at home and had to wait for a trip to the library.
Electives:
Typing, Spanish, Geography, and PA History for both.
This week's geography was about landforms.

My Father's World Rome to the Reformation-
In our Ancient Rome studies, we're now getting to the point in history when Jesus was born. I'm excited to see what was happening in the world back then when He entered human time.
Bible: We read passages from the gospels telling the story of Jesus birth as well as portions of Journey through the Bible that correlated.

Science: This week we went back to our AIG text. We're already on lesson 13 of The Human Body.  It talked about how we use our brain (which part does different functions) and read a short history about brain surgery.
There weren't any experiments but we did do some logic puzzles to exercise our cerebrums.

History: It feels like each week I'm writing the same thing about history... we're still studying Ancient Rome. But it's not tedious. Last year, I felt a little bogged down by Ancient Egypt but this year, it's still interesting after 7 weeks. We're still talking about Augustus Caesar and life in Rome, their education, the Pax Romana (which allowed for the birth of Jesus and the spread of the gospel.) I like it. The younglings are still interested too.

I'm also incorporating Story of the World Volume 1 as well as Mystery of History Volume 1. 
On Week 7, Day 2, we read SOTW 1 page 285-287 instead of Streams.
On Week 7, Day 3, we read SOTW 1 page 289-291 instead of Streams.
Other MFW: 
Music: We listened to various selections by Haydn. The iPod is now synced, and I rebuilt all my playlists but it wasn't in time for music this week so we used the CD once again.
Art:This week, we drew books, Bibles, and cubes.

Extras:
Web:
Huge goof alert---I haven't listed any web videos for the beginning of our year because I didn't realize I had any. I happened to check my youtube list of RTR videos and realized that we were about 50 videos behind! Last year, I had all the videos listed on post-it notes in my teacher manual. This year, to conserve post-its, I just made a playlist online.
We spent some of our fall break week catching up. I'll be going back and editing my other summary posts to include video links on the correct weeks. Face palm.

Favorite Books: 
The Librarian Who Measured the Earth by Kathryn Lasky

We also got to visit the Reading Public Museum for a field trip on Museum Day Live!  They have a great arms and armor collection that gave us a taste of our medieval history studies to come later this year.
Carved horn from China
In the North America section

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...