Sunday, March 3, 2013

DIY Dryer Sheets

My latest money-saving, go green venture was to make my own dryer sheets. I use the little dryer balls to help keep static down and to lessen the dry time but during the winter months, we have too much static cling going on. I found this recipe on One Good Thing by Jillee and modified it a little bit to try it out.
I had some old kitchen towels in my rag basket that were in good shape other than some staining. I cut them into quarters to use as my reusable dryer cloths.
 

I put 1 cup of hair conditioner and 1 1/2 cups of vinegar in a microwave safe dish and heated it for about 30 seconds to help make the mixing easier.
Then I added 3 cups of water and mixed it very well.
Once the mixture was pretty smooth, I started dipping my towels into it, saturating them thoroughly.
After they're dipped, I squeezed them out and hung them up to dry.

After they dried completely, I folded them to store in a little basket next to the dryer. The extra vinegar mixture fit into a mason jar.
I've been using them for about 2 1/2 months now and am mostly pleased with them. They work about as well as store-bought dryer sheets and last for about 4-5 loads per cloth. During the really dry weeks of winter, we still had some static-y clothes depending on the material. Overall though, it's another DIY win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...